Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cliff Dwelling

I try to limit this blog to only one or two personally-focused entries a month, but there is something just too exciting to sit on. Oh, wait! It's October! Hooray! We bought a house! Actually, we bought it about two weeks ago.

It's an old Tudor, built in 1925, and it's only had two owners. The before pictures can be overwhelming, but it has incredible bones. We won't be moving in until January or so, because we're doing some pretty extensive renovations (adding a bathroom, completely remodeling the kitchen, doing some exterior work, landscaping, refinishing floors, electrical, HVAC, the list is long).

We totally fell in love with the neighborhood. North Oak Cliff has it all, rolling hills (the likes of which I didn't know existed in Dallas), huge trees, beautiful houses, great people, tradition-it's a true community. Also, I am ancestrally tied to Oak Cliff. My maternal great-grandparents lived there, as did my paternal great-grandmother, both sets of grandparents, my parents, and most of my parents' friends. It's sort of amazing to think that our kids will learn to ride their bikes on the same streets that my parents did.

Anyway, we've been talking to as many "Cliff Dwellers" as we can find and spending every free moment in Bishop Arts District. We could not be more excited!! Can't wait to get in and throw a big party. Everyone is invited.
















1 comment:

christine elizabeth. said...

Congrats, my dear! Our mama's old stomping grounds. Who woulda thought?! Can't wait to come overstay my welcome every single summer. ;)